The overhead speaker announces your decent into “the tropics”, you look through your plane window and see the wild mountains of Cairns in Tropical North Queensland. You’re arriving in a place where lush rainforests tumble on to white sand beaches which give way to glistening aquamarine underwater worlds that have to be seen to be believed. The wheels of the plane touch down and you exhale. You have arrived.
Tropical North Queensland is embarking on a journey in 2019 to invite Aussie travellers to re-ground themselves. From the moment your feet touch the ground, you are encouraged to reset from busy city living, to let go of day-to-day stress and re-ground yourself in nature.
Tourism Tropical North Queensland, which is revealing the new campaign this week, invited top Australian model Samantha Harris to explore the region while shooting for the 2019 campaign.
“It was incredible to be invited to Tropical North Queensland to explore the destination – we were literally chasing waterfalls,” says Harris.
“I totally connected with the feel grounded concept – it’s exactly what you feel from the minute you touch down in Tropical North Queensland – that feeling of letting all your stress and worry go.”
Harris fronts the campaign and collaborated on the hero experiences in the hope of inspiring more Aussies to get back to nature.
Research over the past 24 months revealed the number of Australians affected by stress was sitting at 4.9 million and increasing. Of these, 44% said lack of sleep was a key contributor, 39% blamed work pressure and 36% said they juggled too many things. [Source / Medibank Wellness Report]
Tourism Tropical North Queensland Chief Executive Officer Pip Close says: “We want to show where Tropical North Queensland fits into the Queensland story and how the destination benefits travellers.”
“With wellness a priority for many Australians in 2019, Tropical North Queensland is the place where they can feel grounded with incredible locations for hiking, biking, swimming, diving and yoga.”
The #FeelGrounded Campaign will showcase exciting new highlights from the region across coming months including the arrival of cool new luxe resort “Riley” by Crystalbrook Collection in Cairns. Feel Grounded at:
• Vlasoff Cay, a secluded sand cay in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef, just a 10-minute chopper ride from Cairns is ideal for private picnics and swimming experiences.
• Fitzroy Island, a tiny barefoot resort offering a true tropical island getaway only a one-hour ferry ride from Cairns Marlin Marina, has a new catamaran exclusively for private charters.
• Dunk Island, a short water taxi ride from Mission Beach, boasts secluded beachfront camping.
• The Atherton Tablelands where leisurely drives take in scenic food trails.
• Mossman Gorge with incredibly emotive, beautiful indigenous smoking ceremonies and guided rainforest story-telling walks.
• Davies Creek where secluded rock plunge pools are less than an hour’s drive from Cairns.
“Tropical North Queensland is all about taking time out with incredible experiences set against nature,” comments Close.
“Swimming in Davies Creek Rock Pool with that view out towards the valley is something I won’t ever forget – personally or professionally,” says Harris.
As for Samantha Harris’ #feelgrounded advice to you in 2019?
“If you’re feeling stressed or need to get back to nature, put Tropical North Queensland on the list for a long weekend away – I promise you will come back re-energised and re-inspired,” smiles Harris.
“I’ve absolutely fallen in love with this part of Australia”.